A few years ago, I made a New year’s goal to be more intentional about time for reading. I was an avid reader as a young person and in my single days, but somehow along the way of having babies and chasing a career I stopped reading for fun and inspiration. Now reading has a more prominent place in my life again.
In 2019, Shawn and I made a practice of reading a little bit before bed each night. We weren’t religious about it. I’m sure we skipped some days. Little by little we created a habit. I looked forward to those few minutes at the close of the day to settle in under the covers and read a few lines.
I’m not a voracious reader – gobbling up words quickly – like I was when I was younger. Now I read slowly. I underline and journal in the margins. I savor the words and delight in the phrases. I choose books from my nightstand, depending on my mood and daily needs.
These are 10 books that most influenced me in 2019. These words ushered me through parenting challenges, personal decisions, faith questions, and seasons of plenty and want. These books were at home on my nightstand. They were my steady companions. I read several other amazing books, but kept coming back to these for advice. The authors became my mentor-friends.
1. Beholding & Becoming by Ruth Chou Simons
2. No Better Mom for the Job by Becky Keife
3. The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James
4. A Sojourner’s Truth by Natasha Sistrunk Robinson
5. This Outside Life by Laurie Kehler
6. Confident Moms, Confident Daughters by Maria Furlough
7. The Way of Abundance by AnnVoskamp
8. The Next Right Thing by Emily P. Freeman
9. Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World by Kristen Welch
10. The Dream of You by Jo Saxton
What were some of your 2019 fave reads? Which books find a home on your nightstand? Leave a comment below. I share weekly book, podcast and recommendations in my Glorygram. If you’re interested in staying in touch more personally and receiving these recs, subscribe here.
**I am an Amazon affiliate, which means any books you buy using the above links help pay for my blog at no extra cost to you. Thank you for contributing in this way!
Leave a Reply