This time of year – when colds are plentiful and the air has that memorable chill – all I’m thinking about is SOUP! After perusing many Italian sausage soup recipes, I decided to create my own healthy variety and it was a big hit with my family.
The great thing about this recipe is it uses kale, which you can find fresh at the local farmer’s market this season. Kale has huge health benefits, including being rich in beta-carotene (which protects against diseases of the skin) and a host of vitamins. Kale helps ward off colds and flus during the winter.
I’m putting out a soup challenge to you. Make a big pot of soup sometime this month. It could be this recipe below, or another favorite like my Tortilla Soup, or a family recipe of your own. There’s something about the warm comfort of soup that brings a group of people together. You might add a salad or a loaf of crusty bread and butter to melt over top of it. Invite some neighbors, perhaps a family from your kid’s school, or someone else you want to get to know. Step out of your comfort zone and into their story, then come back to tell us about it here or on Instagram.
Soup’s on! #soupsonchallenge
Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 red potatoes, chopped
1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes (or fresh, of course, if they’re in season)
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups (cage free, organic) chicken broth
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 package Italian Chicken Sausage, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (I use Trader Joe’s sweet Italian sausage or Sicilian Italian sausage if the crowd can take a little spice.)
3 cups thinly sliced kale (green or purple)
1 15-oz can canellini (white) beans
¼ cup butter
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Garnish: Shaved parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot and turn to medium-high heat.
- Remove sausage from casing and saute in olive oil. (You can use a potato masher or fork to break up sausage)
- Meanwhile, chop all onions, celery and potatoes.
- Add the minced garlic to the sausage and saute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped veggies and tomatoes to the pot.
- Add chicken broth and spices to pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add kale and beans to pot. Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in butter and parmesan cheese.
- Serve with shaved parmesan cheese for garnish.
Makes approximately 8-10 servings.