On Thursdays, we eat Haitian rice and beans. We pray for our friends in Haiti and around the world.
We started this tradition in January before we knew the coronavirus even existed. Long before people were stocking their pantries for home quarantine. We wanted to eat this simple meal in solidarity with people who survive on little.
Haitian rice and beans may seem simple, but the flavors have a surprising depth with a mix of garlic, cloves and oregano. When rice and beans are combined, God designed them with a certain synergy that makes them a “complete protein.” This serves as a hearty main dish if you’re on a budget! My girls look forward to it.
Tonight we savored our rice and beans and realized how different our world looks even from a week ago. Our friend messaged us from Haiti this morning to see if we were all ok. We were humbled, knowing our friends in Haiti face harder things than the coronavirus on a daily basis. We pray for each other tonight.
Instant Pot Recipe: Easy Haitian Rice & Beans
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups rice (We like Jasmine.)
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 cups water or organic chicken broth
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1. Press sauté on Instant Pot. Put butter in the pot.
- Add minced garlic and sauté a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper.
- Meanwhile, rinse 2 cups rice and add to the pot. sauté rice until light brown.
- Add chicken broth to the pot, covering the rice.
- Secure Instant pot and make sure valve is set to sealing. Press manual button and type in 10 minutes. Press start.
- While the rice is cooking, drain the beans.
- When the time is up, move the lid to venting and let the pressure release. Open the Instant pot and stir in pinto beans.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish with Haitian chicken and sauce.